Top 5 safest countries for solo travellers to visit

Solo travel, particularly amongst females is on the rise. The world is so accessible nowadays, and there is always a new place or country to explore. Many tour operators are recognising this and there are now more options for single travellers than ever before with lots of small group options for like-minded travellers, but some still prefer to explore alone. Here are my picks for some of the safest places for solo travellers to explore.

Iceland

In the land of fire and ice, defined by its dramatic landscape with volcanoes, geysers, hot springs, glaciers and lava fields, it is also a country where adventures abound. Try a spot of whale watching, see if you can catch a glimpse of the spectacular aurora borealis. Did you know that the capital city, Reykjavik runs on geothermal powerand is home to the majority of the countrys population? It has also currently tackling the gender pay gap and could soon introduce the worlds toughest employment law.

Iceland Northern Lights

Canada

Safe, scenic, teaming with wildlife, friendly towns and cities, and home to some of the most spectacular winter scenery you will ever feast your eyes on Canada is a great choice, particularly for the active traveller looking to keep themselves busy with endless possibilities to explore and try something new. How about one of the most scenic train journies in the world on the Rocky Mountaineer? A spot of skiing in the some of the best ski resorts in the world, or thedrama and excitment of the Calgary Stampeed?

Canada

Costa Rica

Costa Rica, one of the most bio diverse and colourful countries in South America, could also be classed as the capital of adventure. You are likely to spend most of your time here outdoors exploring, enjoying the scenery, soaking up the sun, and getting back in touch with nature. Explore rainforest, volcanoes and hot springs, try zip lining, hiking, kayaking just to name a few. Visit the jungle to see spider monkeys and quetzal birds. This is also one of (if not the most) safest countries to visit in Central America, filled with expats and wandering souls.

Costa Rica

Thailand

Known to most as the land of smiles, Thailand has been dubbed to have the happiest people in the world residing there. Its impossible not to fall in love with Thailand. Its stunning soft sand beaches, temples, national parks, fantastic scuba diving and snorkelling, outdoor adventures, and FOOD, oh the food You will also find many solo travellers in Thailand so its a great choice if you want to meet new people and make friends on the road.

Thailand

Australia

Australia, although one of the safest countries to travel to, it is however home to some of the worlds deadliest animals Australia is an adventure like no other. Its also a great choice for English speakers as you wont have to deal with a language barrier, and the people are very laid back/down to earth. Explore modern cities, visit the spiritual and cultural heart of the country at Uluru, a road trip or explore the islands off the east coast and visit one of the worlds natural wonders, the great barrier-reef.

Australia - Great Barrier Reef

Kim Robertson is Director at Your Way (Travel) Ltd.

If you would like to be a guest blogger onA Luxury Travel Blogin order to raise your profile, pleasecontact us.

1. Chloe says:

I didn’t expect Costa Rica to be on the list, that’s really good to know! I’ve heard the other ones are safe :)

2. Anna nuttall says:

All of them are on my bucket list. I’ve heard the nordic countries to be quite safe for a traveller. xx

3. Suprio Bose says:

It was pleasantly surprising to see Thailand on this list, but quite a well documented list. Many of the places are on my bucket list too.

4. Ashley says:

What a great list! Have you considered adding Japan to this list? Travel can be particularly safe. There are trains with female only cars (especially for ladies traveling at night. It isn’t unusual to see people traveling and eating alone. And even though there may be a language barrier, many people in Japan are more than willing to help if they can (if you find yourself lost, looking for directions, or even trying to get to your train).

5. Candice Bain says:

As someone who lives in Thailand I’m very surprised to see it on the list. It’s a beautiful country with generally friendly, helpful people but there is much here for travellers to be wary of, not least the roads which are among the most dangerous in the world.

To my mind, the Gulf countries of UAE, Oman and Qatar are the safest countries I’ve lived in/visited.

6. Kim Robertson says:

Thanks for all the comments so far. I compiled the list based on factual information from various places. There are many more places in top 20 classed as safe for solo travel, but of course, the traveller must also use common sense and abide by the laws of the country they are visiting to stay safe. I think Japan was in the top 20 as were some European countries and USA. Next blog will be about solo travel adventures, so keep a look out :)

7. Sally says:

This is such a great article, thank you. I do really want to solo travel someday and safety is my largest issue (especially being female). Just like Anna, these are all on my bucket list so that?s fantastic. I?m really pleased to see Canada on my list as I?d love to live there someday – such a wonderful photo! I think I would probably pass on travelling to Australia alone due to the bugs!