Travel video of the week: Natural light in travel photos

[social_warfare]

Who better to get natural lighting tips from than a three-time Travel Photographer of the Year award-winner? This video was shot at the studio of photographer Bob Holmes for the Marc Silber Show – Advancing Your Photography! He shares some techniques you can use to work with natural light and take better photos, no matter where your travels may take you.

If you would like to subscribe to our own YouTube channel, please do so by clicking here.

[social_warfare]

1. Chris H says:

Bob’s point about learning to look at light as the camera sees light is such a vital and obvious concept. It is something that I’ve understood for years but found very difficult to apply in my own photography. The problem is that our imagination takes over and we “see” details in the pools of dark and shade that the camera does not. Then when you study the photographs that you have taken so often there is a non-descript patch of darkness that ruins the picture. Seeing as the camera does is a real art and Bob has clearly got it.

2. Nick says:

Awesome. Inspirational. Fantastic collection of images at the beginning of the show. What a nice and humble guy too. So modest.

3. Carolyn says:

It is good to see someone getting back to basics. So many businesses and industries nowadays are just utterly dependent on all the high-tech and gizmos, often their images don’t have much relation to reality. All this work with Natural Light shows how much you can achieve with God’s given gifts.

4. Jenny Parker says:

At this time of year you can get some spectacular photos in the Northern Hemisphere. Low sun, long shadows and mist. There is plenty to get creative with. And Bob is right. You don’t have to travel it is just there, it’s the world around us.

5. Diana Presley says:

It is so reassuring when a pro sometimes makes the same mistakes as us amateurs. I get so excited when I’m in a new place that I just start shooting without checking the settings on my digital camera. I was at Delhi’s Red Fort, early morning, last December 2017, and I just didn’t allow for the sharp contrasts in light. The pictures are terrible. I’ll just have to rely on my memories.

Unfortunately, unlike a professional, I keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

6. Elizabeth Knowling says:

Paul, remember the good intention about more competitions? I don’t suppose you could get your hands on any of Bob Holmes’ 46 books as prizes? I’d love to have one of his books on my coffee table.

7. Norma Lee says:

I could never understand why even in natural lighting my photos turn out not so great as what I see with my eyes. I’m beginning to wonder if I can capture a good, unfiltered photo without worrying about all the complicated knobs or settings in a digital camera. Just raw photos. But I guess you really need all these things and the lenses to capture magazine-worthy images. And practice. Very informative video especially about composition and the ISO settings.