More Moroccan-bound luxury: the Radisson Blu Hotel Marrakech

Marrakech is to get a new 204-room hotel which will welcome its first guests in 2011. The Radisson Blu Hotel, Marrakech is Rezidor’s third hotel under development in Morocco, following in the footsteps of the Radisson Resorts which will open in Tangier and Saïdia. The Radisson Blu Hotel, Marrakech be a unique 5 star city resort geared for both business and leisure travellers, with  two restaurants, a bar,  almost 1,000 square metres of conference and meeting space, a swimming pool and a destination spa with a Moroccan hammam. It will be  located within Carré Eden, an exclusive development which includes  80 luxury apartments, a shopping mall and entertainment facilities. Carré Eden can be found in the Guéliz district, a well-established commercial and residential area of Marrakech known for its trendy shops, fashionable bars and clubs.

1. Kendal H says:

Just found your blog through twitter! Looking forward to reading it daily as I enjoy luxury travel. Especially in 2009, when it seems that so many hotels are offering Crisis discounts!

2. Kendal H says:

The Guéliz district is absolutely beautiful. I wonder if the 2011 date is realistic. Last time I was there, development looked slow going. Hopefully it is on time!

3. Paul Johnson says:

Glad you found us, Kendal, and thanks for all the comments that are flying in. (I take it you are participating in the Hyatt competition we have running this month.)

As for the 2011 opening… who knows? Past experience tells me it certainly isn’t unusual for predicted opening dates to sometimes not be adhered to. Time will tell!

4. Kendal H says:

Especially for Starwood’s! I find Starwood is by far the worst for predicting opening times. Let’s hope that Radisson Blu is better.

5. Kay says:

I too have only just started reading this blog, which is great. I’m only sorry I didn’t find it sooner. There are so many great competitions on here!

I find that I’ve been to many of the places mentioned on here but there are lots of new things which haven’t been covered on here yet. Sure, Paul can’t be everywhere!

How about a mention for the new Zign Hotel, an impressive 5 star hotel and villa complex in Naklua (North Pattaya, Thailand)? Unfortunately their website is all naff Flash stuff but it’s a pretty impressive place.

6. Rob Barham says:

Radisson blu ? What do you think of the new name for Radisson SAS Paul ?

7. Paul Johnson says:

I can understand why companies re-brand when there are mergers and takeovers (eg. SAS International Hotels and Radisson back in the mid-90s) but, to the best of my knowledge, this is just a re-brand to come across as more modern and not actually the result of any structural change within the company (please correct me if I’m wrong). I personally find it a little odd when companies change their names purely to “keep with the times”. In my opinion, if a company is operating successfully, it shouldn’t be necessary.

What are your thoughts?

8. I too have recently found this blog, and also through Twitter.

9. I’ve had good luck with Raddison, but curious how this one will fair

10. I agree Paul, although sometimes I think it can be necessary, as long as it’s reaching a new demographic and filling a need and not just doing it to keep up with times.

Radisson Blu does sound a bit more modern but is a tad confusing i originally thought it was an arm of radisson sas like w is to starwood. but doesn’t marrakech seem to be in resort heaven so many choices!

12. Marrakech is literally booming in terms of new hotels, developments and tourism, I find it as Marbella 20 years ago… but it´s great since it´s close to Andalusia, direct flights and it helps Morocco settle as a luxury destination.
    And regarding Radisson BLU, I think they shouldn´t change the brand name if they are doing well…

13. andre says: