Travel hangman

It is with great sadness that we are closing down the Aardvark Travel website this month. Although the site has been around for more than a decade and has been very popular during that time, it also saps up a lot of our time… dealing with spammers and so on and so forth.  We are proud of what we achieved with the site but unfortunately can’t keep investing time in it without reward. The forums alone attracted over 50,000 registered members (admittedly, many may have been spambots!) and around 200,000 posts.

Out of all those discussions, there was one that – for some strange reason – did exceptionally well.  Travel hangman.  That thread alone attracted more than 10,000 posts and more than 2.6 million views!  Travel hangman is very simple – it’s like normal hangman, but travel-related. It might be a place, the name of a well-known travel company, something that you do when you travel… anything that’s got something to do with travel.

Hangman

So, in order not to disappoint our travel hangman regulars, we’re creating this post so that the game can can continue to live on here, despite the closure of the Aardvark Travel site.  To play, all you need to do is add a comment below. (Please note: we have a minimum comment length on here, so you might like to say a little bit than just guessing a letter in order for your comment to get through the system…)

Hopefully you might also have a browse of the rest of the site and post a comment or two elsewhere, too.

For those that are new to travel hangman, here are the rules:

1. You are allowed up to 12 wrong guesses… a guess could be the suggestion of a letter or the suggestion of the whole thing

2. If you guess a letter or word that’s already been guessed, this WILL count as another life lost… you need to pay attention!!!

3. Once you have guessed, you must wait for someone else to have a guess, before you’re allowed another turn. ie. you can’t have two turns in a row.

4. If someone gets the right answer, it’s then their “go”. If nobody gets the answer by the time 12 wrong guesses are reached, then the originator of the game gets to have another go.

To get the ball rolling, I’ll start afresh:

_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _

As for the picture?  Well, that’s one I took at Warwick Castle last Summer… if you haven’t been, you should! It’s a highly recommended day out.

1. Elspeth says:

Good call DP!

Mar I’m wondering if you’ve had us wandering up to the Outer Hebrides?

BARRA?

(ok this is my fourth try to get the comment to submit so excuse the non-comment here but I want to pass the character check!!)

2. BarRa, BarRa, Barra, Barra, Barra
    Barra, BaRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA …aaaaaaaa..aa

All sing to the Pink Panther theme, LOL

Yes, I haven’t been to Barra but would love to go … we’ve visited South Uist a couple of times and love it there.

Anyway, Elspeth, over to you :)

Margaret

3. Elspeth says:

yes I’d so love to go too Mar!

OK so I should have a place in mind but I don’t….erm ok… I think I know…something topical, for me anyway, might have chosen this destination before when we were over on Aardvark Travel Forum – so if you have a good memory you are in!!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I could give some clues but anyone who follows me on Twitter/FB would have it in seconds so maybe I won’t ;)

4. Dawn Patrol says:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
    Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
    While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
    As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
    “ ’Tis some visiter,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
    Only this and nothing more.”

I’ll go with R as in RAVEN

5. Elspeth says:

DP you ventured out at midnight
    on All Hallows Eve…?

The Raven led you astray I fear and that has cost you a letter

No R

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wrong Shouts: R

6. My memory’s shocking these days, Elspeth, so there’s not much chance of remembering your earlier choices on Aardvark :( I’m making this up as I go along, you’ve probably realised.

OK, my guess is a

B

Margaret

7. Elspeth says:

Mar good job I put that bit in, as I had completely forgotten where I had chosen when I got to DP’s guess!!

But, back on track now and happy to be playing again….and best of all there is in fact a B – now lets just hope its where you wanted it?

_ _ _ _ B _ _ _ _ _

wrong shouts : R

8. Elspeth says:

Time for another guess!

If you are new to Travel Hangman please come and say hello – all welcome :)

_ _ _ _ B _ _ _ _ _

wrong shouts : R

9. Elspeth says:

An inspired guess Paul! Did you want just one A or four?

_ A _ A B _ A _ _ A

wrong shouts : R

10. Oh, for a moment I thought I had guessed the right answer … and then perhaps not? OK, this guess should clarify everything for me! (OK, maybe not everything but at least whether my guess is in the right area :) … )

I’ll have an

L

Thanks,
    Margaret

11. Elspeth says:

Mar we so need to be able to add photos to this game!!

You’ve got the little man jumping up and down with glee :D

Let me hope this L is where you intended it to be ;)

_ A _ A B L A _ _ A

wrong shouts : R

12. We definitely need some photos :) – even more, we need some guesses …………………………

Elspeth and I are stuck on a virtual cloud and we’re in danger of drifting off into the ether!

Margaret

13. Elspeth says:

Indeed we are Mar

The photos that we used to embed over on Aardvark certainly kept the game animated.

It has been such a fun little trivia game I would be sorry to see it go – but what to do?

Unless we could move it over to A Luxury Travel Blogs Google Plus or Facebook Page?