14 of my favourite photos from my travels in 2014

2014 was another year filled with interesting opportunities and visits to far-flung places around the world, including trips to China and South Africa, as well as many much closer to home, including a luxury cycling trip in the Scottish Isles in the Summer. Although I still need to hone my photography skills, it’s a hobby I continue to enjoy and so here I share 14 of my favourite photos from 2014.

Please click on the accompanying links if you’d like to get an insight into any of the images.

#14 Hotel dining room on the Isle of Skye, UK – read more here

#3áKirstenbosch Botanical Gardens near Cape Town, South Africa – read more here

Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden close-up 4

#2 Dusk over the city of London, UK – read more here

View from Tower 42

#1 Elephant at Shamwari, South Africa – read more here

Elephant-close-up

Of course, I’d love to hear what you think about the pictures, good or bad! Which ones do you like best?

1. Aira says:

I love that image where there is a person biking and the part where you are on top of the mountain. So breathtaking. It was a good year indeed.

2. The photo of the elephant is gorgeous! Cheers to you! Look forward to following along in 2015 for more incredible travel experiences

3. Rana Singh says:

Loved the Castle and Lion pic. You have a great photography skill.
    Thanx for sharing and Happy New Year.

4. noel says:

Those are wonderful places to visit. Is the London shot from the Shard or one of the amazing restaurants there? I would love to visit South Africa, its been on my list along with that magnificent garden with all those amazing Proteas.

5. Anna Parker says:

Number 9 is gorgeous – but I agree number 1 is a stunner, has National Geographic bought it yet? Photos are the real souvenirs and keep the memories, I love flicking through our photos – it is impossible to pick favourites!

6. Adrian Amy says:

I’m new to your blog, do you get sponsored to take these “luxury trips” and then write about hotels etc… Or how do you afford traveling in luxury so often?

Either way it looks like fun! Many of these places seem like they would be extremely expensive compared to SE Asia or Central/South American prices. Safe travels!

7. Paul Johnson says:

Thank you, Christina!

8. Paul Johnson says:

Thank you, Rana… the castle piture was actually taken whilst I was cycling at the same time, with one hand on the handlebars (I’m not confident enough to let go with both hands), and one on the shutter!

9. Paul Johnson says:

Thanks, Noel… that London shot is taken from the top of Tower 42 (across the Thames from the Shard, quite close to the Gherkin) – they have a bar called Vertigo 42 on the top floor there.

Unfortunately I was unable to arrange a trip up the Shard on that particular vist but funnily enough I was up there today, at View from the Shard. Sadly, it was too cloudy to get any worthwhile shots, but still a great experience.

Paul

10. Paul Johnson says:

Thank you, Anna… we are so lucky to live where we do. I think we’re going to make it our mission to start working our way through the Wainwrights ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wainwrights ) in 2015.

As for the elephant image… alas, no calls from NG as yet, but it was featured here: http://www.digitalab.co.uk/blog/2014/09/18/featured-travel-photographer-paul-johnson/

Paul

11. Paul Johnson says:

Sorry, Aira… thank you for your comment also!

And to Adrian… thanks for dropping by also… yes, this blog is my full time job and I am sponsored. You’ll find disclosure statements on the blog posts where sponsorship is involved.

Do come back soon to follow our 2015 adventures… I am on my firs trip of the year already, and it’s looking like I may be off to Tokyo and Singapore very soon, so I hope to update you all with that in due course.

Paul

12. I love the ones of the boys in the UK and loved the animal photos from South Africa! They are wonderful and what a year you had!!

13. All are based on what i’m sure are amazing memories, but the elephant photo is my favorite. Those eyelashes surrounding what looks like a melancholy eye-just draws me in wanting more information. Here’s to a great 2015!

14. Katie says:

Incredible pictures, love your blog its an inspiration!

Love Katie

15. Paul Johnson says:

Thank you, Cindy… and it was a pleasure to meet you in Athens last year. No doubt our paths will cross somewhere else on the planet in the not too distant future! :)

And yes, Alison… you’re right, they all hold great memories for a variety of different reasons. That’s the beauty of photography, I suppose – it can quicky take you back to the experience and re-ignite many other memories besides the exact moment the shot was taken.

Finally… thank you also, Katie!

16. Alex says:

These photo’s are beautiful, I particularly like the lion and close up elephant ones. Lovely! The one in the Lake District is really touching as well. They all make me want to pack a bag and go travelling right now…

17. Your images are fantastic! I love the one of the elephant…if you were on safari I would love to know how close you were and how you got that close :) I get frustrated on safari myself as I mainly do portraits and can not get out and pose the animals :) LOL

18. Paul Johnson says:

Thank you, Kellie… that elephant was probably about 10 metres away at the time, but it came much closer. We just stayed very quiet and stationery in our vehicle and a couple of them came past so close that you could -quite literally – have reached out and touched them (not that that would be recommended, of course!!)